Lithia Motors, Inc.
Director, Internal Audit
The Director of Internal Audit reports to the CFO.
- Lead department’s change initiative by implementing action plans related to risk assessment and annual planning, audit execution, audit reporting, staff recruiting and development, technology, and Management reporting.
- Ensure all risk assessments are completed for the Company and planning process to develop audit plans
- Oversee the execution of individual audits defined in the audit plan ensuring the highest level of quality and satisfaction.
- Issue all Internal Audit reports ensuring the reports are clear, concise, identify root causes with practical solutions, and ultimately provide value to management.
- Meet regularly with Management to report the status of Internal Audit’s ongoing monitoring activities, educate and inform of emerging risks and/or exposures (whether internal or external to the company) that should be considered, and serve as a “thought leader” with respect to risk management and best practices.
- Proactively inform Management of significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Update/develop process documentation to support management’s SOX assessment and compliance.
- Lead scoping efforts for management’s SOX assessment and create report on final assessment of internal controls over financial reporting for the fiscal year-end for management’s review.
- Perform Internal controls assessments of acquired companies or joint venture companies and lead efforts to mitigate identified control deficiencies.
- Manage the process to track, follow-up, and ultimately close all open audit issues.
- Actively participate in executive management meetings and/or committees to ensure that Internal Audit is well-informed of key business developments that could have an impact on audit priorities and/or plans.
- Attract, hire, and retain a team of high-performing audit professionals who possess outstanding knowledge, experience, ethics, and integrity.
- Ensure that Internal Audit is performing its work in accordance with established professional standards and remain abreast of emerging trends and best practices that can be incorporated into the function.
- Oversee Internal Audit’s participation in critical business and technology initiatives and projects ensuring that audit’s perspective is effectively voiced and appropriate controls are designed and implemented on a proactive basis.
- Maintain audit technology platform leveraging support from the information systems group as needed.
- Coordinate the activities of external auditors including how best to leverage the work performed and results produced from Internal Audit’s work.
- Serve as the key point person on all regulatory exams and other third-party audits.
- Other duties as assigned
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are needed to be successful in this position:
- Strong attention to detail and sense of urgency
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Active Listening – give full attention to the words and body language of others, take time to understand the points being made and ask questions as appropriate
- Critical Thinking – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management – ability to prioritize workload and manage one’s own time
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting & Finance or other closely related field
- Certified Internal Audit (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- 8 or more years’ experience in auditing or accounting; 3 years in a Management role
- Integrity - Acts ethically, maintaining a commitment to honesty and truth in all facets of behavior that builds the trust of others
- Work Ethic - Delivers accurate, timely and consistent results while understanding the need to balance short-term sacrifice for long-term gain
- Team Player - Supports the overall efforts of the team to accomplish departmental and Company goals and objectives
- Team Builder - Acts as a role model within the department in all facets of assigned job duties, while effectively providing feedback to team members and earning respect as a leader
- Commitment - Strives to become a dynamic and dedicated leader who is committed to the standards and mission of Lithia, by providing opportunities for our people to excel and grow in a positive, respectful work environment
- Innovator - Creates positive change by taking on new challenges and providing solutions to improve current processes that add value (mgmt. only)
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Standing, walking over 1/3 of the time, sitting to 2/3 of time, kneeling/crouching to 2/3 of time, reaching with hands and arms to 2/3 of time, talking or hearing over 2/3 of time; move, transport or place up to 1/3 of time up to 25 pounds
- Working Conditions: Indoor office environment, considerable use of telephone, computer and other office equipment
Lithia Hiring Requirements
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- 18 years or older
- Possess an acceptable driving record and valid driver’s license in state of residence
- A criminal history background check will be conducted prior to beginning employment
- Clear pre-employment drug screen
NOTE: This job description applies only to the specific employing entity and location of an individual’s employment. This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).