- Lawsuit Intake
- Notify insurance carrier / help determine whether suit is insured
- Assign outside counsel
- Inform affected GM and RVP / PVP of suit
- Set-up lawsuit in Serengetti
- For small claims, alert affected Lithia entity and determine whether they need help responding
- Serengetti Updates
- Update Serengetti “summary” and “notes” as needed with relevant case details
- Update “Events” as needed with relevant communications
- Update “Reserve” “Final Settlement” and “Verdict” as needed
- Close Litigation and pre-litigation matters as warranted.
- Coordinate Discovery
- Gather all discovery you are able to personally gather
- For such discovery you cannot personally gather, coordinate and direct Lithia Motors departments and affiliates (e.g., HR / LRE / LAD / Dealerships) to provide all pertinent and requested documents to assigned legal counsel when requested
- Keep a file record / copy (if possible) of all items gathered and sent on to assigned counsel
- Keep outside counsel informed as to relevant / pertinent Lithia contacts (Edward Impert, relevant Lithia employee contacts, and all known fact witnesses)
- Help coordinate relevant employee / assigned counsel phone conferences as needed
- Coordinate Lawsuit Scheduling
- Work with outside counsel and Lithia’s insurance company to schedule (or relay schedules, as the case may be, for) depositions, mediations, arbitrations, hearings trials etc.
- Work with affected Lithia employees to alert them of depositions, mediations, arbitrations, hearings, trials, etc
- Subpoena’s and Document Requests
- Assist all Lithia entities with subpoena requests, deal document requests, and employment document requests.
- Attorney Demand Letters / Attorney General Complaints / Department of Justice Complaints
- Work with affected Lithia entity (usually the dealerships) to have them draft a “first response” for Edward’s review.
- Help Edward review and approve and/or help draft a response if need be to answer such complaints
- Assist In-House Counsel
- Assist Edward as-needed with special legal projects / legal research / legal correspondence when requested
8. Legal inbox
- Help coordinate legal email inbox.
9. Legal Bills
- Review legal bills to determine whether there are any outliers or erroneous bills, in your opinion
- Weekly Priority Litigation Report: Provide Senior management with weekly Priority Litigation Report
- Monthly All Claims Report: Provide Risk, Dick Heimann, Brad Gray, and Edward Impert a monthly “Open and Closed Matters” Report
- EPLI Tracking / Reporting: Track attorney fees / case fees / settlements / verdicts on all EPLI claims occurring after November 1, 2009
- Quarterly Legal / Risk “true-up:” Assist Risk in correctly setting-up and closing out claims in their system once a quarter.
- As-Needed Reports: Additional legal reporting as needed
- Meet and exceed individual objectives as defined by supervisor
- Adhere to schedules and deadlines
- Thoroughness, accuracy, and timeliness in completing essential duties
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are needed to be successful in this position:
- Strong attention to detail and sense of urgency.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Active Listening – give full attention to the words and body language of others, take time to understand the points being made and ask questions as appropriate
- Critical Thinking – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management – ability to prioritize workload and manage one’s own time
- Bachelor's Degree required
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Standing, walking over 1/3 of the time, sitting to 2/3 of time, kneeling/crouching to 2/3 of time, reaching with hands and arms to 2/3 of time, talking or hearing over 2/3 of time; move, transport or place up to 1/3 of time up to 25 pounds
- Working Conditions: Indoor office environment, considerable use of telephone, computer and other office equipment
Lithia Hiring Requirements
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- 18 years or older
- Possess an acceptable driving record and valid driver’s license in state of residence
- A criminal history background check will be conducted prior to beginning employment
- Clear pre-employment drug screen
NOTE: This job description applies only to the specific employing entity and location of an individual’s employment.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).